Our customers are at the heart of Merchandise. Connecting with and understanding our customer needs is an important part of everything we do. The merchandise team sits within all Business Units (Grocery, Non-Food, Fresh Produce, Bakery and Meat/Deli/Seafood) across Coles Supermarkets. This is a diverse team, from category management and supply chain, to product development and marketing. Merchandise is a dynamic, high profile area and is committed to identifying and delivering what’s best for Coles and our customers, today and into the future.
As an integral part of the Category Management team, you will execute the customer-centric category strategy with support from the cross-functional team and with one direct report to lead and develop.
You will hold accountability for the category economics; delivering profitability, growth, and return and for the execution of the category’s pricing, promotion, range selection, layout development and product development. Managing a diverse group of suppliers, you will be responsible for maintaining and developing these relationships.
This position will see you embedding customer centric innovation into the day-to-day operations of the Category and inspiring your team to support the execution of the category strategy.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- experience working in a customer-centric FMCG and/or retail business, with exposure to a matrix organisational structure
- demonstrated entrepreneurialism and innovation (e.g. new product development
- experience working across functions, with a good understanding the interface between Merchandise and other business areas (supply chain, operations, marketing, etc.)
- strong commercial acumen with experience applying this to interpret industry dynamics and competitive retail landscape
- previous category manager experience or exposure to and understanding of the role
- knowledge of merchandising function and processes (pricing, promotions, etc.) and familiarity with other business areas (supply chain, marketing, etc.)
- strong analytical skills demonstrated through proactively sourcing customer insights and data to formulate category decisions (e.g. range, pricing etc.)
- proven experience in successfully driving strategic and tactical improvement programs
- proven ability to swiftly adjust as required to deal with the rapidly changing environment
- previous supplier management experience with success growing long lasting relationships with suppliers
- strong negotiation skills and experience, to drive key supplier negotiations
- leadership skills, with an ability to inspire, motivate and develop others
- previous exposure to Competition and Consumer Act
Our commitment of making good things happen at Coles starts with our people. It is important for us to celebrate our wins and develop our people. In addition to a competitive salary, the other good things include:
- Receiving a team member discount and exclusive team member offers;
- Sampling new products and flavours before they hit the shelves;
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for primary care givers and 1 week of paid leave for secondary care givers;
- Access to an onsite childcare School Holiday Program;
- Access to a Fitness Centre and Body Therapy Clinic; and
- Being part of a fun and inclusive culture where you can learn and develop your skills through our excellent ongoing training and development
At Coles, we are all about our people. As a top-30 ASX listed company, we are a dynamic, empowering and collaborative organisation that is focused on ensuring a positive, inclusive work environment for all team members. We believe in energising everyone by having you become part of a more purposeful work life. At Coles, we believe we are better together when team members can perform at their best and will support you in bringing your best self every day. So, how will you make good things happen at Coles?
At Coles, we know we are at our best when our team is representative of the communities we serve and are proud of our commitment to providing supportive work environments for all team members. We actively encourage applications from all candidates, including the LGBTI community, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and people with disabilities.